For a foodie like me Eid is about indulging in Biryani and wishing all my friends from all over the world. Sheer Khurma is a special dessert made on the occasion of Eid, a popular dessert originated from Persia. This is Vermicelli pudding but what makes it different from the regular Semiya Payasam/Vermicelli Pudding is that the rich ingredients used for the dessert, most importantly the thin nylon Vermicelli and lots and lots of nuts and dry fruits. Sheer Khurma means dates (Khurma) cooked in milk (Sheer). Whenever I attend any Lucknowi food festival at restaurants, the first thing I look for will be Sheer Khurma. Here is the recipe for a delicious Sheer Khurma/Khorma.
Sheer Khurma Recipe
Nylon Vermicelli - 1 cup (break it into equal pieces)
Milk - 1 litre (use milk with high fat content)
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Condensed milk - 200 gm (I used small tin Amul Mithai Mate)
Sugar - 4 tsps (Add according to your taste)
Ghee - 2.5 - 3 tbsp
Dry fruits (chopped dates,
cashew nuts, raisins) - 1 handful each/ or according your preference
Pistachios (chopped) - for garnishing
Rose water - 1/4 tsp
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, heat the milk. Stir occasionally.
- Once the milk starts boiling, add condensed milk, sugar and combine well.
- In another pan, heat clarified butter/ghee and fry the nuts and dry fruits.
- In the same pan, add nylon vermicelli and fry till golden brown in color. Do not over fry it.
- To the boiling milk, add cardamon powder and fried nuts and dry fruits (Preserve some dry fruits for garnishing). Stir well for 2 mins.
- Add the fried Vermicelli. Stir and cook for 5 mins.
- Once the Vermicelli is cooked well, add rose water and turn of the flame and close it with a lid. Leave it aside for 10 mins.
- You can serve the Sheer Khurma hot or chilled. Before serving garnish the dessert bowl with dry fruits, nuts, pistachios and saffron strands (optional).
Follow me on -
For any queries or feedback, call +91-9886771173 or send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org