Today I made something simple and delicious dish using Prawns. It's Konju Pappas (Prawns cooked in Coconut milk). The recipe video will be on my IGTV soon. In most of the Kerala style fish recipes, we add a bit of Fenugreek/Methi/Uluva which enhances the curry taste. In this recipe, you can add sliced tomatoes before adding coconut milk. I used Kudam puli instead of tomato for the sour factor. The Kudampuli taste in fish curry is so amazing. This same Pappas recipe can be used for making Pomfret, Pearl spot, or Seer fish. This curry will go well with rice, chapati, appam, or idiyappam.
Prawns - 250 gms
Onion - 1 (halved and thinly sliced)
Green Chilli - 3-4 nos
Garlic - 8 pods
Ginger - 1" inch, thinly sliced
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli powder - 2 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Fenugreek powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Pepper powder - 3/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 3 strands
Kudam puli/ Malabar Tamarind- 2 nos (soak it in water for 15 mins)
Coconut milk - 1 cup/200 ml (thick)
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves and sliced onions and saute for 1-2 mins on a low-med flame. Add 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Add green chillies, ginger, and garlic and saute till onions become soft.
- Add Turmeric powder and stir well.
- In a small bowl combine coriander powder, fenugreek powder, pepper powder, and red chilli powder with 1-2 spoons of water. Make a paste form. Add this paste to the pan and stir well.
- Add Kashmiri Chilli powder and combine everything together. Stir for few seconds and add Kudampuli pieces.
- Add 3/4 -1 cup water and bring it to a boil.
- Once the gravy starts boiling, adjust salt, and add prawns. Cover and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Remove the lid and cook for a minute and add thick coconut milk.
- Once bubbles start forming, add some curry leaves and switch of the flame.
Enjoy this Konju Pappas with Rice/Chapathi/Appam/Idiyappam :)