Pananungu/Nungu/Ice apple is a seasonal fruit and in the Summer season, you will see cart vendors selling this in bulk. Ice apple is a powerhouse of nutrients. For beating the Summer heat and to avoid dehydration this fruit is consumed. I came across many posts on drinks using Pananungu. I wanted to try something different with this and made my favorite Kerala dish using Ice apples. Peera is a dish cooked with hand-crushed masala made of grated coconut, ginger, green chillies, garlic, curry leaves, shallots, and turmeric powder. Ideally, for the Peera recipe, we use Prawns/Anchovies/Sardines. Adding chunks of Nungu in this recipe was purely experimental and the result was fabulous. My family and I just loved it. So here is an amazing recipe with Ice apples -
Pananungu/Ice apples (cubes) - 3 pieces/1 cup
Cleaned and deveined Prawns - 500 gms
Coconut (grated) - 2 - 2.5 cups
Green Chilli - 6-8 nos
Shallots - 8 nos
Ginger (finely chopped) - 1" inch
Garlic - 6 cloves
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Kudampuli/Malabar Tamarind - 3 pieces (soaked in water for 15mins)
Water - 1/2 cup
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - as required
- Remove the Ice apple skin and cut it into small cubes.
- In a bowl, mix grated coconut, slit green chillies, chopped ginger and garlic, crushed shallots, curry leaves, and turmeric powder. Combine it and crush the mix using hand.
- In a cooking/earthenware pan, add cleaned prawns and the coconut masala. Mix well.
- Add turmeric powder (optional), half cup water, kudampuli pieces and combine well.
- Keep the pan on low - medium flame and cover and cook for 10 mins. Add salt in this stage.
- Once the water content is almost dry, add the ice apple cubes.
- Stir it and cook for another 1-2 mins.
- Drizzle coconut oil and sprinkle a handful of curry leaves.
- Switch off the flame and let it rest for few mins.
- Serve Prawns -Pananungu Peera with rice and curry.
Follow me on -
Facebook - You gotta try it
For any queries or feedback, call +91-9886771173 or send a mail to email@example.com