I can't tell you all how happy I was to try this dish. I was watching some recipe videos on Youtube and happened to watch Chef Kunal Kapoor's video on Amritsari Fish Fry. Till now I have seen most of the people making this simple dish in the wrong way by batter frying it like Pakoda. I liked the way Chef Kunal made Amritsari Fish Fry; inspired by his recipe I have tried it and it turned out to be an amazing dish. Using simple techniques and ingredients, you can create a delicious Amritsari Fish Fry. On a rainy day, enjoy this hot fish fry with the drink of your choice :)
Boneless fish cubes - 400 gm
Carom seeds (ajwain) - 1/2 - 3/4
Asafoetida (Hing) - 2 pinch
Lemon - juice of 1/2 lemon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder - 2.5 tsp
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Besan - 3 tbsp
Rice powder - 1 tbsp
- Wash the fish cubes thoroughly.
- In a bowl add fish cubes, ajwain, and asafoetida. Mix well.
- Add turmeric, ginger garlic paste, and 1 tsp chilli powder.
- In a small bowl mix besan and rice powder. Add this flour gradually to the fish pieces. Once you get the desired consistency ( I used almost 3 tbsp of besan and rice powder mix), add lemon juice and remaining chilli powder. Add salt and mix well.
- Leave it aside for 15-20 mins.
- Heat oil in a kadai on low - medium flame and add fish pieces. Once it is fried well, take out from the oil and keep in on a kitchen tissue. Then after 2 mins once the oil is hot again, switch it to high flame and fry the fish pieces again. This double frying method will add the crunch factor to it. Once it is done take out from the oil.
- Garnish with some chilli powder, chaat masala, and coriander leaves. Serve hot with green chutney or ketchup :)