Split Bengal gram/ Kadala parippu - 2 cups
Onion - 1 cup, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch, finely chopped
Green chilli - 2-3, finely chopped
Curry leaves - 1 strand, finely chopped
Fennel seeds/ Perum jeerakam - 1/4 tsp
Asafetida/ Hing - 1 pinch
Salt - according to taste
Oil - for deep frying
- Soak Bengal gram in water for 2 hours. Drain water completely before grinding.
- In a blender, add the soaked Bengal gram and grind for few seconds. Do not make a paste. Just crush the Bengal gram completely.
- Add chopped onions, ginger, chillies, curry leaves, fennel seeds, asafetida and salt to the bengal gram. Mix well.
- Make small balls and gently press it to flatten the vada.
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan. Keep the flame in low-medium flame. Once the oil is really hot, put vada in oil and deep fry till its golden brown.
- Serve it hot with tea or coffee.